Friday, March 21, 2008

Why didn't someone stop me?

After having everything pretty well aligned I got it into my head to improve it a little.
Totally screwed it up and it took the best part of four hours to get it back where it was!
Now I have 5mm difference on the diagonals (Over 6000mm I'm happy with that as a tollerance), hulls are parallel and on the same horizontal plane.


Finally found a use for the complete works of William Shakespear.



As the photos show, I have recieved the jib track. A really nice piece of gear too.(My wife thinks I need to get a life, being excited over a curved piece of aluminium. I was telling her how sexy it was, even said she could hold it if she wanted, but she wasn't interested. I dunno, go figure.).
Still considering mounting options. If it is rigidly mounted I will obviously have to wait for the new jib. I have heard that the track should be allowed to pivot up and down.
Any advice?


I've glued the chainplates in and bolted to the subdeck. (Inside the hull) First I keyed the stainless with a grinder and put rivets through the C/P holes as extra keys. I know there are probably people looking at this thinking "That's going to pull out without bolts through the hull."

The truth is the bolts only go through the hullsides which are only a few layers of cloth anyway. The rivets will help with load but I don't think they are necessary. I reckon the epoxy will do the job. (Those who doubt should try and get the spills off the garage floor.)

This will result in the chainplates being hidden like the bridle chainplates. Nothing on the outside of the hulls.

Decks, Wested and ready to go on.

I think in a way, I represent different type of sailor.

This is an old boat that I am restoring and it will never be as fast as the newest olympic boats.

Still, it will be a strong, reliable boat and it will go as fast as I'm capable of making a Tornado go.

Other guys are doing the same thing with Flying Dutchmen and various classic sailing classes.

There is something, I don't know if romantic is the right term, but definitley an appeal in giving new life to these classic racing boats.

No comments: