Sunday, April 13, 2008

Trimming up


As I suspected, with the white primer on I have discovered all sorts of bumps and dips. (On the deck)
So I've been sanding them away, quite happily as I know I need a good base to achieve a good finish.
So...... more sanding.

Between work and the weather there hasn't been much opportunity to get on with the job but that's OK, I could use the rest.
Did a little filling today and some more sanding.
The trampoline arrived the other day so the parts are coming together. Just need rudder stocks and a heap of little fittings.

I've been watching the preparation for the Vendee Globe and would dearly love to go and see the start.
It's an amazing race, to see those boats and realise they will not make port for almost 24000 miles would be really something.
Is it the pinnacle of our sport?
Most of you guys would be off the beach sailors like me but even though I'm not an ocean racer I really aspire to the achievements of these guys.
The Vendee
But... maybe the money could be better spent.
We will see.
isvflorin,
after the paint it's the rig (she's still wearing the old classic rig).
Then there will be a boat mounted video cam as well as heaps of stills of our sailing adventures.
We're not planning on being totally focused on round the buoys racing.
We will be doing a lot of sailing in the ocean and trying to find some distance races for off the beach cats, as well as some coastal stuff even if that means unofficial starts with the keel boat guys.
I've spent a fair bit of time sailing small boats and also a bit of time skippering commercial fishing boats and I don't understand why we don't make more use of the fantastic coastline we have rather than sailing in lakes, harbours and bays.
I guess it's an insurance thing.

No comments: